Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Supreme Court

As my knowledge grows in this course, I have learned how the systems work in almost every facet of our daily lives. However, tonight we watched a film that focused on the Supreme Court and most importantly, the election of the first woman in the Supreme Court. I gathered that the basic structure of it all of the eight people are put together by the President of the United States, one being the Chief Justice of the United States and such number of Associate Justices as may be fixed by Congress. As it is chosen by the President, the President does receive advice and consent of the Senate. It is stated in the Constitution that the Judge, “both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good behavior, and shall, at stated Times, receive for their Services, a Compensation, which shall not be diminished during their Continuance in Office.” (Article 3 Section 1) When I read and understood the duties that are to be carried out by the people of the Supreme Court, I often found myself questioning whether I could even begin to carry out some of the decisions made by those who hold that particular position. I would often be judged on my opinions and beliefs just like Ruth Loomis in the film except times were different during that period and women were viewed as a sensitive matter when it came down to most things. But I would not be surprised if there were people out there that still had that frame of mind pertaining to women in that position of power but it would open a certain amount of trust to the people if you had that sort of diversity in the Supreme Court because they make many important decisions that could make or break the society we all live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment