Tuesday, September 22, 2009

My Own Argument

I had learned a lot when I studied and analyzed this case. Going about having an idea and protecting it from those out there to gain personal interest for themselves requires an extensive research and understanding the laws. MercExchange had a non-patented idea and had originally wanted to license the idea so they could properly petition it to potential buyers. But when no agreement was reached, another company proceeded to use the invention. Timing was off and MercExchange missed their chance. I understand the decision of the courts but I am not sure if I agree with them. MercExchange had proof that the idea was theirs and even though a decision was not made in time, I think that there should be some sort of compensation made by Ebay and their subsidiary. I am glad that an effort was made on behalf of the court and they did not just try to pass it off as some open/shut case. They put up a good fight for what was there’s in the beginning of it all and their particular case opened up possibilities for future cases to be able to have a chance to defend their ideas. So even though MercExchange did not receive the compensation they felt they deserved, it will remind the courts not to take any tasks lightly and to force courts to follow the procedures when dealing with patent-related cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment